Thursday, May 1, 2008

Potty Training - Day 1

Maren has been dancing around potty training for months, since Christmas Day when I briefly thought I was a genius because she used the potty twice. She uses the potty regularly at school and sporadically at home. This weekend the break through was that she pooped on the potty at Grammie van's - a big deal in the potty training process.

After a parent-teacher conference at the lab pre-school (her daycare) and her teacher saying "it's time" we are biting the bullet. Put her in big girl underpants last night and after two successful potty trips, we went for a walk. Well...it is a process after all. "I pooped," she said as she continued hopping like a bunny on the sidewalk. "Really?", I asked. "Yes!" Checked the pants and yep, poop. We hustled home and I tried to get her into the bathroom but she insisted on taking her pants off and sitting on the training potty in the guest room. "Huh, poop everywhere," she said as it streaked down her legs and onto the training potty. "Yep," I said, "Don't move!"

Clean-up finished, it was on with a diaper for the night. But this morning she wore underpants to school and I took six more pairs and three outfits to keep at school, in case of accidents. She was very excited to tell her teachers and friends "I'm wearing underpants!!!"

1 comment:

Brenda said...

I will be checking faithfully, the day-to-day happenings of Maren and potty training!