Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Things that make us laugh

It's the golden age of talk! So many funny things, and mom and dad too tired to record them all for posterity. A few highlights from the past few weeks.

Every morning we have the same routine - up, Maren gets to watch a short kiddie show or video and have some juice while she wakes up. Then, to the potty, get dressed and out the door. Every morning I say the same thing "When your show is done, we will potty and get dressed and go to school." I sound like a broken record (will anyone born after 1980 even know what that means?). Two weeks ago, I give my speech. Maren looks at me and says. "No, no, no! Dammit, dammit, dammit!" And continues to scream dammit about 20 more times, even as she is dragged to the potty and dressed. I haven't said the word in front of her since winter, what a memory on that kid.

Sunday afternoon, after swimming in a friend's pool we are in the bathroom together. (I know I share too much "potty talk" but what can I say? It consumes a good part of my waking hours.) She is sitting on the toilet and looks at me and says "Oh! I have hot pee!" Made me laugh out loud.

Last night, in her crib, about a three-hour go to sleep process for some unknown reason. She talked to herself and sang to herself and would not settle down. Among other things that we heard "John Robert, come here, I need to check you. John Robert, what are you doing?", the ABC song, Twinkle, Twinkle... She tried to recruit Daddy to her rescue many times.

"Happy Birthday to Maren, Happy Birthday to Maren. Now blow out the candles! Whooo (sound of blowing). Oh, yummy cake! Happy Birthday Madeline and Tacy, Happy Birthday Madeline and Tacy..." and she continued through a host of friends and family.

We have added to our repertoire of prayers and she now likes to say grace before dinner. In addition to the usual grace, she likes to thank God for grass, her pool and cousin Allison. Makes our hearts happy.

No comments: